Adv Level 1 Class Overview
For PDF version ASI Adv Level 1 Overview document in PDF.
Purpose: Build on basic ASI L1 sailing instruction to take students to the next level of sailing skill and confidence. Helpful for capable rated L1 sailors, new L1 instructors, L1 sail racing students, and future L2 students.
Content: Reinforcement of key concepts taught in basic L1, instruction on more advanced techniques and controls, and sharing of practical tips in a wide variety of sailing topics. Class does not cover racing rules or tactics.
Instructor: Steve Poulos – (left) for now, potential to train / qualify 1-2 additional instructors
- Class format: Five all-day class sessions offered per year. Two students per class. Each student completes their class in a single all-day session.
- Equipment: Reserve a specific L1 boat with properly fitting sails and running rigging so that sail trim can be demonstrated. Can be used by any rated sailor any other time.
- Other materials: PDF study guide that students can print out and review ahead of their session. John Tiley to help with photography. A few good pieces of rope and props for knot practice.
- Where the class takes place: Meet at the Kent Lake dock at Kensington Metropark in Milford, MI, white board instruction and Q&A, followed by an on-water demonstration and practice. 7-8 hours total.
- Prerequisites: At least one full year as rated L1 sailor, exceptions can be made based on demonstrated basic sailing proficiency.
- Scheduling method: Info in the Burgee with instructor available dates for the year, students contact instructor directly to schedule. 5 sessions per year, per instructor.
- Class kicked off: Spring 2012 (first year pilot program).
- Sailing Class fee: $35, paid ahead of the class to the sail secretary (instructor must receive email confirmation of payment prior to the class).
Refund policy: No refunds, but can reschedule if absolutely no wind, storms, or other factors prevent on-water instruction.
Student recognition: Certificate of completion presented at annual awards banquet. Add to sailing resume when applying for L2 class. Potential to identify on annual sail pass?
Pilot program evaluation: Preview of final instruction program just prior to start up in first (pilot) season and after end of first season. Student survey to be filled out after each class.